Make no mistake, starting a new Dads or Mums support group in your area will save lives. It’s probably easier than you think and we’ll guide you along the way. To start a new group we essentially need two things:
- A place to meet weekly – the venue
- Volunteers to facilitate / support the group
It always starts with one person, so if that’s you and you’re willing to help or to provide a venue then drop us a line and let’s get started. Start by clicking here to register your interest.
PBB has indemnity insurance to protect venue owners.
- Big enough to accomodate 10-20 chairs put into a circle
- 10-20 chairs are available, or some other such seating (e.g. benches, lounges, stools)
- Available 2-3 hours one night each week for a group meeting
- It is easy to find, use public transport to get to and/or park at
- It has a kitchen area or at least somewhere to plug in a kettle
- An accessible bathroom
- Ideally, it is free of charge to use or very low cost
- Ideally, it would be available to us for at least a year if not longer
- Historically, venues examples of venues have included:
- Commercial business meeting rooms
- Church halls / rooms
- Community houses
- Swim / surf clubs
- Private areas within RSL’s / public houses
There are three key categories of volunteering:
- Facilitating a local weekly support group
- Key role is sitting in the circle with parents and managing the discussion
- Needs to be a separated dad for the ‘Dads in Distress’ meetings
- Needs to be a separated mum for the ‘Mums in Distress’ meetings
- We ask that you commit to at least one year’s volunteering in this role
- Help support/manage the local support group
- Key roles here include local fund raising, awareness building, event management etc.
- Can be anyone local willing to help support their nearest group
- Non group based volunteering (e.g. HQ admin, remote helpline,
- Typically, HQ based roles such as admin, national awareness, IT, remote helplines etc.
- Can be anyone willing and capable of taking on a specific role
All volunteers need to register via our online form (linked above) where you can indicate your preference in terms of the above types of volunteering.